Monday, February 16, 2004

LEAVING LAW'S WAGES: I am thrilled to announce that last week I joined the staff of the Joe Hoeffel for U.S. Senate campaign. Our mission: defeat the Republican incumbent, Arlen Specter, who has held onto the seat for the past twenty-four years while consistently putting his own interests ahead of those of Pennsylvania's families, children and seniors. It's time for a change.

It has also been time for a change for me. For some time, I have been looking for a setting where I could take the skills I've developed as an attorney and apply them towards something that excited me more than the work which I had been doing. This campaign is that place, and I am excited to be working with such a wonderful, talented team.

This is a Democratic state -- our governor is a Democrat, our largest cities are run by Democrats, and we voted Democratic in the last three Presidential elections. It's about time our Senate delegation reflected these trends, and the polling suggests that as more voters learn who Joe Hoeffel is, we will. Arlen Specter is vulnerable, and we can beat him.

Now, that's me. What does this mean for you?

This blog will continue -- I offered to take it down, but I was told that was not necessary. However, you will see no further talk of politics from me because this campaign needs to speak with one voice. Moreover, (and in boldface, to be absolutely clear) nothing you will see on this blog in the future, and nothing that you have already seen on this blog has been authorized by or represents the views of the Joe Hoeffel for U.S. Senate campaign. Any effort to impute any views expressed here to Congressman Hoeffel or the campaign is just plain wrong.

Finally, there's something you can do here. As I've said before, the thing I most admire about the Dean campaign is the way that it encouraged people to speak through their pocketbooks, convincing people who otherwise had never given money to a political campaign that the most effective way to bolster a campaign early on was with financial contributions. Early money, as the saying goes, is like yeast -- it demonstrates the strong grassroots support behind a candidate, confirms that the race will be contested vigorously, and leads to more money coming in.

Arlen Specter already has raised a $9.2M war chest. We need one of our own. If you want to defeat Specter and send a strong, electable Pennsylvania Democrat to the Senate, please consider making a contribution to the campaign, and add $0.72 to the total so they'll know it's from my readers. No amount is too small.

Thanks for your time, and wish us luck. This is going to be a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment