Tuesday, March 30, 2004

MY BLOOD RUNS COLD: Ever stop to wonder what became of your middle school crushes? Me neither. (Lie.)

Yeah. So, I got curious about a cinematic crush from my skate-geek days today. Fametracker had bupkiss -- I suppose her career no longer registers on the Richter scale of fame since she hasn't done a movie since 1988.

But then I discovered that this dude over here has got the largest collection of Michelle Meyrink images on the web.

It took me about six seconds to decide that I'd be more psyched than disappointed if the pictures turned out to be -- unsavory. While such viewing might have compromised and corrupted a strangely durable and well-preserved naive nerdboy crush of mine, I probably would have been left feeling more decadent than debased by the experience, you know? Nothing profound; nothing sacred would be tarnished. Her appeal wasn't that of a virgin saint or romantic ideal, after all. It was more more like that of Louise Brooks updated for the '80s as an anime protagonist who really, really liked math.

Right. So anyway, flush with anticipation, I hit the link and uncovered a grotesque spectacle that made me ashamed to share this guy's mild obsession: 300 some-odd still images clipped unceremoniously from Real Genius.

The horror. The Horror. . . Brutally, brutally disappointing. Just plain wrong. I think I finally understand: Some copyrights are desperately in need of enforcement.

No comments:

Post a Comment