Monday, July 19, 2004

FREE NICK SWISHER: Those of you with long memories may recall my review of Moneyball last year:
Nor does the book have the longitudinal scope I wanted to see. There's a great chapter inside the A's draft room, and a brief epilogue on how two picks have done during their first few months in the minor leagues . . . but I want to see how Beane's picks are three years down the line, because that's where the proof of his methods lie.
Well, according to a recent interview with Michael Lewis, it's going to happen:
Q: Hi Michael, I wanted to interview you for my site because I’d seen some rumors around the Internet that you were working on a follow-up to Moneyball. So is there any truth to that rumor?

A: You know when I sold Moneyball, I sold it in two books. And I decided it was a book after the draft of 2002. So when I decided it was a book, I thought that I would really want to know what happened to these kids. And so I’ve been marinating in minor league baseball for the two years. It’s a different kind of book so I anticipate it taking another two or three seasons before I’m even ready to write it. I’m just gathering string right now. The players really need to work out their fates before I can sit down to write about them.
Tentative publication date is 2007, but here's a sneak peek.

No comments:

Post a Comment