Tuesday, July 20, 2004

THE WAGES OF GREED: I only rarely blog about sports, since I'm not a big fan. Heck, Adam will probably kick me because I could have had free tickets to one of this weekend's Phillies/Mets games at Shea, but passed. However, this story from Sunday's New York Times Magazine is too good to pass up.

5 years ago, Matt Harrington was one of the top picks in the MLB amateur draft, right out of high school. After turning down exceedingly rich deals from the Colorado Rockies, who drafted him, he's been drafted every year (increasingly low in the draft), waiting for the right deal to be offered. Each year, the offer goes down. Now, he has the dubious distinction of being the longest holdout ever. The truly sad part? While he's kept on playing (in independent minor league ball), he seems to be regressing.

The question the article raises--and it's a good one--is this: Did Matt Harrington ruin baseball, or did baseball ruin Matt Harrington? Somehow, I think the answer is between the two. Well worth your time.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:38 AM

    Nice dispatch and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you seeking your information.

    ReplyDelete