Thursday, August 5, 2004

HELLO -- IS IT ME YOU'RE LOOKING FOR? Thanks to Adam for his warm and largely accurate introduction. I have no idea what, exactly, I'm going to end up adding to this blog, but I appreciate the opportunity to join him, Matt, Alex, Isaac and Phil here.

Let me start not with a question, because this happened to me Monday and I'm still not sure what the right call was.

So I took a taxi home from the office, and, idiot that I am, my cell phone fell out of my pocket and I left it in the back seat.

Driver, being wise, finds the entry marked 'Home' in my contacts, and calls me a half hour later. I've got your phone, he says, but I'm a half hour away now, and I'm taking off work tomorrow, so I wouldn't be able to get your phone back to you until Wednesday, unless . . . .

And I knew he was full of shit. But he had me. How much? I asked.

You tell me, he said.

I offered twenty dollars. He accepted, and came about an hour later.

I had my phone back. But, man, I felt like I had been taken. Was there another way to handle it?

No comments:

Post a Comment