Tuesday, August 31, 2004

ITEM! News and notes from around the major leagues:
1. Reminder: The Amazing Race airs an hour early tonight.

2. I TiVo'd through the MTV VMA's last night. Maybe I'm finally too old for this stuff, but very little -- save Polyphonic Spree, Kanye West and Chappelle's tribute to Jay-Z -- entertained me very much. And the Spree still freak me out. Is it a joke or a cult?

3. Olympic Closing Ceremonies: yawn. Unless you were Greek and knew who these performers were. They had a right to throw a party for themselves, though.

4. What will I remember from these games? Michael Phelps, obvs, but also the utter dominance of the American women's teams -- softball, hoops and soccer. Also, how about the Temple hoopsters winning gold -- Coach Dawn Staley for the women, and Juan "Pepe" Sanchez for the Argentine men.

But, frankly, this year's scandals weren't interesting enough, until the marathon interruption on the last day. The men's gymnastics scoring error? Didn't involve dramatis enough personae. Track and field didn't move me this year, except for watching the pole vaulter's pro-wrestler-like celebrations upon successful completions.

That's about all I have for now. You?

No comments:

Post a Comment