Wednesday, February 9, 2005

STAY IN SCHOOL: The Village Voice's Pazz & Jop poll is up today, and days before he'll mop up at the Grammy's, Chicago's own Kanye West has the honor of the consensus No. 1 CD of 2004. The top single of 2004 was Franz Ferdinand's "Take Me Out." Both West and FF show up in the top 10 of both lists, a feat repeated only by Modest Mouse, U2, and Jay-Z (counting his contribution to The Grey Album).

And either I am getting hipper in my mid-30s or the critics are coming back to my tastes, but I actually own (and by own I mean I downloaded them or better yet downloaded them from CDs from the library, my own private Napster) about half of the 20 CDs, including the single non-kid friendly CD (think Ralph Covert and Dan Zanes, not Raffi) I actually purchased in 2004, Loretta Lynn's Van Lear Rose, which if I had a vote would have been No. 1.

And one more tangent, those of you with kids and some musical taste, will want to run out and buy the latest kid friendly CD from They Might Be Giants, Here Come the ABCs, which drops next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment