Tuesday, May 10, 2005

7 CHINESE BROTHERS: I've been hitting the Y fairly regularly and wanted some tunes to pass the time. So yesterday I went down to Circuit City and bought myself the lowest-end 4GB Mini iPod (green, if you care). I'm not only not an early adopter of technology, I'm just not an adopter. I don't want a cellphone with browsers, wifi, PDAs, text-message and low resolution digital pictures. I want a phone so I can call my wife or the auto club. Last time I went to buy a new cellphone, I told the guy at the Nokia store that I wanted one "that let's me make phone calls. And nothing else."

So I've been slow to this iPod business. It's actually pretty clever, once you understand the logic of the interface and the sound resolution is beyond my ability to notice any drop off from the compression. My only beef is that the iTunes software is geared very much towarded piling stuff on to the device and not removing it. Sure, I've got plenty of space, but I don't want to sort through the preloaded crap.

I don't think this thing will change my life. I'm already finding huge gaps in the iTunes catalog. But it's a terrific little portable music device handy for the gym and the occasional plane trip.

But that's not what this post is about. This post really is about the fact that I found my copy of R.E.M.'s Reckoning -- the soundtrack to one perfect day I spent at a friend's house on (not at, on) Lake Tahoe in the summer of 1987 -- loaded it up, and remembered at last why I blew $50 on all that crap after Green. These guys used to make really great records.

No comments:

Post a Comment