Thursday, May 19, 2005

THE PAUL REVERE RHYME I KNOW INVOLVES A WIFFLEBALL BAT: Kudos to the Amherst College Sports Information Department for commemorating Sunday's NESCAC Baseball Championship extra-inning win in verse:
Listen my children and soon you will clamor
Of the 10th-inning run of young Jared Banner.
On the fifteenth of May, in Two-thousand-and-five,
Hardly a man who saw the game live
Will soon forget his famous line drive.

He said to his mates, “If we reach the tenth inning
Barrel on ball will be but the beginning.
By walk or by hit from home plate I’ll advance
Four bags I will round when commencing to prance:
One base if by grounder, and two toward the gap
Third base in a flash my toes will then tap,
Ready to scramble and streak into home
Through Coach Thurston’s stop sign my spikes will soon roam." . . .

Seriously, why can't other sports beat writers compose in verse?

No comments:

Post a Comment