Wednesday, July 6, 2005

CAN'T YOU HEAR ME YELL-A? OK, I'm not the only one watching Comedy Central's new sorta-sitcom, Stella, right? I'll freely admit that I had my doubts. I was never a huge fan of The State, and Michael Ian Black can wear thin very quickly, but this is shockingly good. Hell, it's a live action version of The Simpsons or Family Guy filled with utter randomness, but built around a plot. For instance, in this week's episode, the gang is upset that the president of their co-op board won't let them "have any fun." So Michael Ian runs for President. Of course, recriminations ensue, turning into a ridiculous Manchurian Candidate plotline/spoof and reckless surrealism involving (yes) robots and people having campfires in their apartments. It's surprisingly effective and deadpan, and in a world where the sitcom is all-but-dead, it's well worth your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment