Sunday, July 3, 2005

SINCERITY IS NOT MEASURED IN POUNDS: The best appreciation I've seen of the late Luther Vandross comes from Richard Harrington in today's Washington Post:
"My first responsibility is to be honest in what I'm singing," Vandross said in one of a half-dozen interviews we did over the course of 20 years. "My favorite thing is when somebody's emotional state, more than their romantic state, is helped by one of my songs.

"I sing about love, but I also sing about introspection and emotional status and the emotional journey that people go through during the course of a day and how it can affect you -- all the decisions that you make for your life. It's not 'meet me in the shower' and 'let's rub oil on each other.' You'll never hear me sing about those things."

Then he added: "That's my choice, Luther's perspective. It does not mean that anyone who does that is less worthy or less competent."

My favorite Vandross song? Probably "Power of Love/Love Power".

No comments:

Post a Comment