Thursday, November 10, 2005

WHERE YOU LEAD, I WILL FOLLOW: TV Guide's Michael Ausiello had a nice long chat this week with Amy Sherman-Palladino, the wunderkind behind Gilmore Girls. It was sufficiently interesting that I thought I'd offer up a few of her observations. (I'm leaving out the parts with the spoilers, but you can find them in Ausiello's column if you're interested.)

On the the Rory/Logan relationship: "Logan and Rory are going to hit a rough patch. Logan and Rory's relationship has never been based on deep talkin'. Their relationship has been based on 'Let's have fun! Let's avoid reality! Let's just go play and party!' And Rory doesn't want to avoid reality anymore. And that's going to alter her relationship with Logan. [That being said,] we have [Matt Czuchry] for the entire year, so kids need to remember that. He's getting paid for the whole year. You don't want to waste that when you're paying for it. But there are going to be a lot of ups and downs for Rory and Logan."

On why we haven't heard Lorelai and Luke whisper those three little words to each other: "To me, they say 'I love you' to each other every single day. Everything that they do, the way they care for each other, the way they take care of each other.… 'I love you,' for me, is a tricky phrase on television because I think it's way overused, as it is in life. I think they constantly button scenes with, 'I love you.' 'I love you, too.' 'I love you, Mom.' 'I love you, Butchy.' 'I love you, Johnny.' 'I love you, Fluffy.' There's just nothing but I love yous and so little goes behind it. And part of what I love about Luke and Lorelai is they don't do that. They just love each other. They just take care of each other. They just support each other. They do everything that you're supposed to do and they don't have to say 'I love you' 100,000 times. And when the words finally come out and when we feel like we actually need to write them down, it's probably going to come at a very odd time."

I think this is a woman who ought to be writing for TV, you know?

No comments:

Post a Comment