Monday, February 6, 2006

AND BRUCE WILLIS IS DEAD: Following up on Adam's post about Grey's last night/early morning, there's been a lot of commentary about Grey's policy of misinformation combined with a refusal to let anything leak about upcoming storylines. Several of TRWCT have made their names by leaking "spoilers" for popular shows (most notably Kristin Veitch at E!Online and Michael Ausellio at TV Guide). I'm somewhat ashamed to admit that I'm a spoiler whore, especially in an era where we have to wait and wait for certain shows to return to the air, but our good friend Shonda Rhimes is starting to convince me otherwise:
One of the things I feel really strongly about is knowing what's going to happen on an episode of television before you see it. It's crazy, like, why tell people what's going to happen instead of getting them to watch it to see for themselves? Plus, it freaks me out to see our storylines on the Web, and it freaks me out to hear people saying, "I hear you've got blah-blah-blah on your show." So, we all made an agreement that we're going to keep our mouths shut and just keep on [making] the show and having you guys enjoy it.

She's got a point--while the general nature of what a "Code Black" is had leaked widely, specifics as to plot points had been closely guarded. Would the past two weeks of episodes have been as astounding had we known the big reveals for Bailey and Izzie in advance, or what, precisely, was the cause of the Code Black? I think not. So, where do you stand on spoilers?

No comments:

Post a Comment