Wednesday, February 8, 2006

SEVENTEEN THOUGHTS ABOUT "THE" (PART 3): Here are 3 more songs on my iTunes list that begin with the word “the.”

7. The Jam by Graham Central Station. Bassist Larry Graham was a key member of Sly and the Family Stone. If you love that band’s music, you’ll love this funk classic, which hit #15 on the soul charts in 1976. The song follows the blueprints of Sly’s songs I Want to Take You Higher and Dance to the Music -- a powerful groove combined with individual solos. Like Sly and the Family Stone, Graham Central Station was a multiracial group that combined a solid soul foundation with hook-laden pop. Graham’s only major success on the pop charts was his solo ballad One in a Million You, which hit #9 in 1980, a tender love song worthy of your attention.

8. The Man I Love by Django Reinhardt. This is what joy sounds like. Play this song, or nearly any song by the famous Gypsy guitarist, and you’ll soon find yourself smiling. As the All Music Guide observes: “he would spin joyous, arcing, marvelously inflected solos above the thrumming base of two rhythm guitars and a bass, with Stephane Grappelli's elegantly gliding violin serving as the perfect foil.” The Man I Love is from his CD Souvenirs, which is an excellent way to get acquainted with Reinhardt’s sweet jazz.



9. The Message by Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five. An old school classic, this song went all the way to #4 on the “black singles” charts in 1982. This was one of the first rap songs with social commentary.



"Don't push me 'cuz I'm close to the edge
I'm tryin' not to lose my head

It's like a jungle sometimes;
It makes me wonder how I keep from goin' under."

No comments:

Post a Comment