Friday, April 7, 2006

HEAVY ROTATION 2: About 30 years ago, Jon Landau famously wrote: "I saw rock and roll future and its name is Bruce Springsteen." I've had two similar moments. The first was when I saw Barenaked Ladies opening for John Wesley Harding in 1992 during what I suspect must have been the band's first U.S. tour.

The second took place on Saturday when I saw Slo-Mo. It's a band unlike any other I know. Picture a jam band. Now picture a jam band with a talented hip hop front man. Now picture that band with a steel guitar as the key instrument. Finally, picture three amazing female vocalists. As one critic put it, the band is "rocking, hip-hopping, swinging and grooving all at once."

Check out their songs "My Buzz Comes Back" and "Shackamoxon". Then buy the CD (look for "Buy It Now"). Then go see the band perform live. You won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment