Tuesday, May 9, 2006

SCARY AND DAMAGED: I've pretty much had my fill of the West Wing tributes, much as I enjoyed watching the first few seasons on Bravo. So I must tear myself away from the actual workplace work that needs doing so as to talk about something else.

Things I enjoyed about this week's Grey's Anatomy:
  • The actual storyline. Big-haired southern family was great, particularly mama of big-haired southern mama-to-be. This is twice that GA has gotten me crying with the mother-daughter speeches (the other one being the mother giving her teenage daughter a speech about what to do after the mother dies of cancer, back a few weeks ago). What's with this show and the mother-daughter speeches? Do they not know that they make pregnant mothers of Cosmo Girls weep in front of their TVs?
  • Izzie and Meredith in the bathroom discussing life, the universe, and everything whilst white-stripsing their teeth and plucking their eyebrows, respectively.
  • Christina in a punchy mood. Particularly the cheerleading before the arrival of the ambulances. Self-explanatory.
  • Cranky imperfect jealous McDreamy. He's being violently unfair to Meredith, in my view, but it's much more McHuman than his usual toothy-grinned McPerfectness.
  • Meredith not backing down in the face of cranky imperfect jealous McDreamy.
  • McVet's "scary and damaged" speech.
Things that bothered me about this week's Grey's Anatomy:
  • Callie. I don't like Callie. I'm sorry. It's not her fault. I think I just have a thing about Sara Ramirez. I didn't like Spamalot, didn't particularly care for A Class Act. She just doesn't do anything for me, and I just don't care about the character or her weird living arrangements. I do, however, think that the Callie Peeing scene was magnificently played by all three parties involved. (But dude, you know your boyfriend lives in a house with two women -- why would you assume that no one was home in the morning and that it was therefore not worth throwing a t-shirt on before wandering off to the bathroom? Seriously.)
  • McVet. I like McVet as a character, but thus far he's being treated the same way as Patricia Clarkson was handled during the first season of Murder One -- the significant other outside the scope of the "real story" whose air time is limited to a one-on-one scene at the end of every episode. I realize that as a non-Seattle Grace employee, he's unlikely to show up at the hospital and start horse-birthing in the middle of a surgical floor, but still. He at least needs to make an appearance at the bar or the house or something.

The last couple of episodes have felt a little disjointed to me, so here's hoping that next week's big three-hour finale (two of which hours fall on my birthday, which is a pleasant treat) is an epic blowout worthy of the show at its deeply enjoyable best!

No comments:

Post a Comment