Wednesday, October 4, 2006

AIN'T THAT AMERICA: I've always thought John Mellencamp has been a little under appreciated and now I find myself conflicted by his newly ubiquitous commercial for Chevy trucks. While on the one hand, in a world were "All You Need Is Love" can be used to sell credit cards (I forget for which bank, which should tell the marketers out there something), "The Weight" peddles cell-phone service, and my first love is exploited in the name of meat, it's hard to get upset about any song being appropriated by an ad. In fact, I am sure many of you were first introduced to some cool artists like Nick Drake, the Shins, or the Pernice Brothers through commercials. And after Sting made a comeback by loaning his new song to Jaguar a few years back, I can only wish Mellencamp gets the same bounce.

So, while Mark Caro at the Chicago Tribune contemplates whether the ads make Mellencamp a sell-out, I propose the singer loan some more of his diddies to Madison Ave. For instance:
  • Hertz...So Good
  • Peptol Bismol: Little Pink Tablets, good for you and me
  • Little diddy about Jack and Cola
  • Allstate: Everyone Needs A Hand To Hold On To
  • Kraft Cheese Crumbles: Crumblin' Down
  • Check It Out: Your Local Library

No comments:

Post a Comment