Wednesday, January 3, 2007

OKAY, SOMETIMES WINNERS USE DRUGS TOO: I was blindsided by this week's episode of Top Chef. Yes, caught totally by surprise, but only because Bravo decided to put Season Two on re-run/hiatus through the holidays. After disappointment on successive Wednesdays it had all but faded from my pop-culture consciousness.

Somewhere in there is fruit for speculation about the evolving scheduling calculations of cable networks in the internet/DVR/RealityTV era, but I'm not that guy.

Seems that, for the Seven Sins challenge, the sin of choice was Wrath. Teen Wolf got called out by ...well, everybody. And everybody but the judges (and the ever-mortified Elia) was feeling down and dirty enough to dip into their Deadwood Dictionaries to do it. I admit enjoying that, and will take it like a man if folks think I'm a willing victim of villain editing. ...gah. No, I won't. How could you sympathize with anyone carrying that prima donna attitude and that anime hair? Full pardon for all his sins to date if he gets together with Mikey next episode and figures out how to make me a latte with Vicodin foam.

Speaking of Mikey: how 'bout that? First of all, who trades away Lust for Envy? What's better than Lust? ...okay, in this case, Envy, but you see my point. And did somebody maybe give him a hand in the kitchen, as well as with the presentation, seeing as he was feeling poorly? I'd like the address of his dentist so that I can be sure to never, ever go there. Looked like he got punched in the mouth.

On a week when the judges acknowledged their general satisfaction with the competitors' offerings, I'd say the elimination as presented was just. The fallen will be sorely missed in some quarters, but it's pretty much over when your dish falls down on taste, texture and presentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment