Sunday, March 11, 2007

I CAN'T EXPLAIN, RYDELL, THIS PAIN, RYDELL: I'm just settling in for the Grease half of my weekly double feature of Project Broadway and TARStars, and was all set to be wowed once again by the opening number. Then I remembered one of the reasons why the stage show is (normally) superior to the movie version of Grease -- man, did that suck. Can someone explain to me why the dueling alma mater approach can't be used as the opening number anymore? Barry Gibb, you're no Jim Jacobs. Oh, and one other thing: Allie is violently outclassed by everyone else on the stage. Here's hoping that America gets it right next week, since the judges seem to be blinded by . . . something.

Edited to add: Ok, so "All That Jazz" did a lot to make up for the opening number, although whoever edited it to exclude the "I love my life" line -- one of my favorite moments in any Broadway show, period -- should be roundly scolded. I'll save my spoilers for the comments, but will just note here that for my money, the second pairing tonight was leaps ahead of the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment