Saturday, April 14, 2007

JORGE POSADA MIGHT HAVE A DIFFERENT REACTION: I keep a 2004 baseball card of Dave Roberts on my desk. From time to time it gets buried under the other papers. Then on days when I sort all the papers on my desk (such as today), I glance at the card and two thoughts immediately come to mind. First, I recall that amazing stolen base of his during Game 4 of the 2004 ALCS. That was perhaps the most important moment during the championship run of the Red Sox that year.

The second thought, though, is the one really makes me reflect. I am inspired by people who rise to the occasion when the stakes are high. There comes a time in all of our lives when we are on the spot and there is no gray area. A time when the outcome is binary: succeed and you are a hero; fail and your hopes are vanquished. A time when a true professional simply gets it done. With everyone in the world expecting him to steal, Dave Roberts pulled it off on the big stage. That stolen base is more or less the distilled essence of our lives. Dave Roberts is a hero of mine. As I gaze at his card, I remind myself that when such a moment comes in my life I want to be sure to do what Dave Roberts did.

{credit for part of this post belongs to one who prefers to remain anonymous}

No comments:

Post a Comment