Thursday, May 31, 2007

SPELL-O-RAMA: So we start out with 59 spellers. 26 kids are repeaters. I’ve got my coffee, my laptop and I’m wearing my favorite pajamas. This is, scarily enough, the happiest freaking day of my life this year.

10:05 am: Samir Patel is interviewed right before the competition. The reporter keeps insisting he’s the favorite, Samir keeps insisting he is not. He’s cranky and just wants to be left alone to spell in peace. I’m worried about him already. This is way too much pressure, this is Michelle Kwan pressure, this is bad.

10:08 am: Horton Hears A Who Boy is back! He’s taller, more confident and …wait, wait for it …he still spells into his hand as if there is a tiny person inside his palm!!! Whoo-hoo! I love it when things stay the same. I was worried that he’d change his method and thus, ruin his spelling mojo. But no. He's the same.

10:09 am: Anjanet Loon is from a Catholic School in the Bahamas and the awkward geek inside me feels she is way too beautiful to be up there spelling. It’s not fair. I’m either rooting for her to beat the system or rooting against her to keep the pretty girls down. I’m not sure. She’s having trouble spelling the tough word “rhodochrosite” so I’m feeling pretty shallow.

And she spelled it wrong. Pretty Girl goes home. Dragged off the stage by the “volunteer” who will now stick her in the Crying Room (those of you new to the bee -- I’m not kidding) until she can pull it together.

10:13 am; Evan O’Dorney, the cutest tiniest sweetest little speller in the whole wide world (can you guess who my favorite is?), spells his first word so quickly as if to say “is that all you’ve got?” THAT? Lame!

Commerical break…

No comments:

Post a Comment