Saturday, May 19, 2007

STILL LOOKING FOR A REALTOR WHO CAN SELL US A COTTAGE IN STARS HOLLOW: I finally got around to watching the Gilmore Girls finale tonight, and I will unabashedly admit that the tears were plentiful. Although the basic concept is a little dubious -- Rory's been away at Yale for four years, and yet her "departure" was treated as though she hadn't left Stars Hollow for more than 10 minutes at a time since 1986 -- the execution was handled quite beautifully.

Sure, the whole thing sped by quickly, but every character got an opportunity for a glory note reminding us why we love every quirky resident of the greater Stars Hollow metropolitan area (which I define to include Hartford). Tears when I realized why Emily was so fixated on the Dragonfly getting a spa or a tennis court. Tears upon tears when I realized what the heck Luke was doing with his tackle box. (While I haven't cared about Luke since shortly after the "I'm all in" speech of a couple years ago, every aspect of his role in the finale was beautiful and -- unusually -- believable.) A minor flood when Rory and Lorelei drove up and saw the tent. I hope that someday Amy Sherman-Palladino will tell someone what the last line of the finale was supposed to be, but David Rosenthal has nothing to be ashamed of when it comes to how he wrapped this puppy up in its last couple of hours. (Oh, and I'm so glad they managed to pull off the final cameo appearance.)

There are shows and there are shows, but only one can claim that it made me want to be a mother. Bon voyage to the Gilmores, one and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment