Wednesday, June 6, 2007

KNOCKED OUT: Having not read her book, I can't say whether Rebecca Eckler's claim that Judd Apatow stole parts of Knocked Up from her book of the same title holds water, but the similarities she points out don't seem particularly persuasive (indeed, the entire "one night stand" and "buddies" parts of the movie's plot seem to be completely independent of her claim). And from what lawyer did she get the advice that "if I went through with the lawsuit and lost, I would, in addition to my own legal fees, have to pay theirs?" I'm sure Universal's lawyers threatened and all that, but the odds of a court doing that are probably pretty damn low.

Update: Here's her complaint. Notably, she does not allege (and a quick search of U.S. Copyright Office registrations appears to confirm) that she owns a U.S. copyright registration for the work. This is a serious problem for her under Section 411 of the Copyright Act.

No comments:

Post a Comment