Monday, January 28, 2008

IT'S A BUYER'S MARKET: The Wire is winding down, and it's clear that it's now following the Sopranos model, letting a lot of its minor characters have their valedictories. Because both were -- notwithstanding protestations to the contrary from Chase and Simeon -- crime dramas, the range of exits is fairly limited (prison, death, or going on the run), and much of the tension is in figuring who is leaving rather than how they're going to go. I'm going to stop saying how much I'm going to miss this character or that, because the truth is I'm going to miss them all, and I don't want to say it every week.

I will say, though, that the softening, unfocusing of Marlo's eyes at a key moment of tonight's episode was one of the most chilling moments I can remember in this show, the first time that I thought that Marlo actually is McNulty's fictive serial killer -- a psychopath that gets a kick out of the blood -- instead of just a particularly ruthless businessman.

No comments:

Post a Comment