Thursday, February 7, 2008

THEY CALL IT THAT BECAUSE THE PRODUCERS ARE 'CHALLENGED': Lord knows I love Real World/Road Rules Challenge. I think I had a half-hour conversation at a party last weekend just about how f'ed up Paradise Hotel is and how awesome Challenge is. So of course I'm enjoying this season, and I have but four things to say right now:
  • Nice decision to go to an hour-long format. Gauntlet is actually okay with a half-hour but better in full-hour. Duel drives me crazy as a half-hour show because it takes three episodes to get rid of somebody.
  • The producers have outdone themselves in laziness this season. First, they structured the whole thing wrong, in that the strong halves of teams (i.e., the juiced-up men) have an incentive to throw challenges to get rid of the weak halves (the women). Second, they didn't really even think through some of the challenges. Ball Brawl today, for example, had a completely superfluous ball. These mistakes were so obvious that the lunkheads on the show -- no rocket scientists, they -- figured it out immediately. Yikes.
  • I don't mean to get political here, but if you get a chance to re-watch this episode, ask yourself if Brooke doesn't just look like a young Hillary Clinton. The eyes, the chin-smile, that's what it is. If more people watched this show and caught the resemblance of the Democratic front-runner to the completely unhinged ersatz lesbian, it would be Obama in a walk.
  • Reliable quote machine: "The last time I saw a goodbye like that it was the last scene of Titanic. I mean, it's sweet that they like each other and everything, but ... uh, I don't even think Brooke is a real lesbian. Mmm, right ... y'know?" Oh, Coral, how I've missed you.

No comments:

Post a Comment