Sunday, February 24, 2008

THIS IS RIDICULOUS. WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO? ROAD TRIP: Inexplicably for those of you who don't know him, and unsurprisingly for those of you who do, Spaceboy v1.0 has developed an obsession about the states -- their location on the map; their residents and former residents of interest (family members, ex-nannies, RW/RR Challenge participants); the order in which they were admitted to the Union. Don't believe me? He just wrote the following story: "The dog went outside the cat came the dog went to Nevada."

So, naturally, I decided to make him an iPod playlist of songs about states. I got 13 songs in and realized that I needed a lot of help. ALOTT5MA readers, help! The criteria are as follows:
  1. The song must mention a state's name. Songs that merely refer to a city without naming the state itself don't make the cut.
  2. Preferably, the song should be about the state and not just mention it in passing. This rule is not inviolate. It may be hard to think of many songs about Delaware, and a great song that just mentions Delaware is better than a mediocre song that is all about it.
  3. Song quality is superior to on-the-nose-ness. I have to listen to this stuff too. This is why the "Indiana" spot on my playlist remains open even though I am aware of the crime against humanity song "Gary, Indiana."
  4. Bonus points for depth of thought. I'm perfectly capable of querying the iTunes Store for songs that include a state name, but that's not very useful to me. I'd rather have people tell me about songs that they like (without filtering out songs that don't include the state name in the title).
  5. I have a preference for non-obviousness, though again, it's not an absolute requirement.
I won't list the 13 songs I already have, in the hope that you'll convince me to replace them.

No comments:

Post a Comment