Monday, May 26, 2008

ISSUE-RULE-APPLICATION-CONCLUSION: I thought that the verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus structure of the perfect pop song was imprinted on our DNA, but lately I've been mulling a contradictory question: which chorus-free song is closer to the perfect pop ditty, Voxtrot's 2004 The Start of Something or Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin's 2008 Think I Wanna Die? On the one hand, the former contains the lyric "I'd get angry with athletic ease, break common laws in twos and threes," apparently is about loving a communist, and (this is a good thing) sounds like it was recorded under somebody's bed; on the other, the latter apologizes for being twee, and that's not a metaphor -- the lyric says "sorry if that's twee." And the only way I can get either one out of my head is by getting the other one in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment