Sunday, June 15, 2008

A REVIEW OF A BOOK I HAVE NOT YET READ: In the animation thread a few weeks (days? I'm getting ready for trial, here, people) back, I mentioned having been involved in some litigation about the pictures of a studio whose work I love. Though a few people expressed interest, largely because they also love the work of this studio, I declined to say more.

On a thoroughly unrelated note, among several great father's day presents I received this morning was a book entitled The Pixar Touch: The Making of a Company, by David Price. For no reason at all, the first thing I flipped to was an accurate -- if unnecessarily dry and hyperbolically-titled -- chapter called "Crisis in Monstropolis." (There appear to be other chapters in this book that are missing, perhaps because I would find them far more interesting than other people would.) Beyond what I've already skimmed in that chapter, my review of this book goes as follows: "If it is to be judged by its title, this book is about Pixar, and may also contain some ruminations on the makings of companies, or perhaps the making of a single company that is no longer a company. I would expect, therefore, that there would be some mention of the unmaking of this company." And yet despite my presently poor grasp of the subject matter of this book, I would nonetheless recommend it to anybody who expressed interest in the matters described in the first paragraph above.

No comments:

Post a Comment