Thursday, July 31, 2008

I WAS A LYCRA-CLAD FLIPPING PIRATE: As ALOTT5MA Friend Joanna Weiss put it in her post on last night's SYTYCD, this is a show that makes us all happy. Chief Happiness Officer Cat Deeley outdid herself last night when she demanded that Twitch hand over his gold grille for Cat to try on, "spit and all." The fact that Heidi Klum -- Heidi Klum! -- was nominated for best reality host for her countless identical line readings of "see you on the runway" while Cat was not is absurd.

Oh, wait, this is a show about dancing, so let's talk about dancing.

Last week I was apparently the only person in America who thought that Joshua had an off week. Clearly he felt he had something to prove to me and me alone, because he did in fact dance his ass off this week. (I do think it's a smidgeon unfair to the other dancers that he and Katee got partnered up again this week, but, then again, Twitch manages to magically draw hip-hop out of the sorting hat week after week.) Also, can someone explain to me how Nigel managed to restrain the urge to comment upon Joshua's shirtlessness during the paso doble? He's never been able to restrain it before -- why now? And despite my total failure as prognosticator last week, I will nonetheless state my belief that I just can't imagine either Katee or Joshua not appearing in next week's finale, particularly after their excellent contemporarary and paso doble performances.

This week's eliminations are shaping up to be interesting, because Mark had quite a strong week. I hate those sideless 80s muscle shirts, but Mark was a beautiful waltzer and his performance during that Sonya Tayeh jazz routine was spectacular. (If Sonya happens to be in the market for a muse, she should welcome a resume from Mark with open arms.) Twitch, on the other hand, lost a deeply one-sided fight for attention versus Chelsie's hips. The hip hop number was a lot of fun, and Twitch's solo's are always memorable, but I don't think it's totally insane to posit that there's a chance that Mark edges him out for the final four. (But then again,, given that Twitch was in the bottom two last week, there's that possible slingshot fan-galvanization effect that I love to point out at every possible opportunity.)

Mr. Cosmo raised an interesting question last night when I was commenting on how strong last night's choreography was across the board. He asked whether there was a choreography vetting process that made sure that big weeks got the best routines -- for example, did Jason Gilkinson's unusually appealing Viennese Waltz and paso dobles get specifically slated for the week of six, or did they just get lucky?

That's it for me . . . what'd you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment