Friday, August 8, 2008

SYNTAX STRANGE USES HE: Inspired by many comments on this blog and in private e-mail messages after I referred to Yoda's famous aphorism in my recent piece about the Pan-Mass Challenge, it struck me that some of you might want to weigh in on what Yoda really meant when he said:
"Do or do not. There is no try."
To me, the words echo the spirit of people like Lance Armstrong, Larry Bird at his prime, or Dave Roberts at a key moment in 2004, people who simply get the job done no matter what. I don't think that mine is necessarily the consensus view, but rather than trying to paraphrase the thoughts of others, I'll hereby open up the comments section for all of you.

1 comment:

  1. Jim Bell3:58 PM

    I saw a man in an amusement park on Saturday with a T-Shirt that said "Judge me by my size do you?" The quote was unattributed, you just had to know.  He liked it when I called him Yoda.  I think he may have been a geek.

    ReplyDelete