Sunday, April 12, 2009

EASTER GRABBAG: Having spent a fair amount of time cleaning out the TiVo this weekend, thoughts on a variety of programming:
  • Dollhouse--As usual, I'm with Alan--this episode really got me emotionally invested for the first time in the show (indeed, it reminded me in timing and structure of Out Of Gas, the best Firefly episode). Its inevitable cancellation will now sting a little, though the last hope for avoiding cancellation would be a disappointing performance by Prison Break next week.
  • The Unusuals--It might have just been the fact that large chunks of the pilot were filmed in my neighborhood or my crush on Amber Tamblyn, but I enjoyed this quite a bit. I'm not sold on the "continuing mystery" angle of the show, with Casey figuring out the secrets of her co-workers, but this looks like a cop show with just the right mix of realism and quirk.
  • Parks and Recreation--Based on Facebook statuses, I liked this one more than a lot of you did. I particularly loved the randomness ("I have some things to say about Laura Linney!") and Poehler's interesting spin on sunny cluelessness. Sure, it's not perfect yet, but The Office didn't make the leap until Season 2, and I'm willing to give this some time.
  • SNL--Again, I'm with Alan. What. A. Mess. Sure, there were funny bits here and there (and I liked the Biden stuff better than Alan did), and some nice detours into surrealism (the inexplicable Spitzer and Disney appearances, in particular), but you need a narrative line in a sketch beyond repeating the same joke time after time.

No comments:

Post a Comment