Wednesday, May 6, 2009

CRY, CRY BABY? [Did America get it right, yet again? To the comments.]

Revised and extended Thursday morning: Yeah, on a certain level -- the whole "justice" thing -- Allison Iraheta's ouster from Idol last night was deeply disappointing, as unjust and shocking as previous Final Four ousters of Tamyra Gray and Chris Daughtry. If anything, it's worse than Tamyra's, because her "New Attitude" did stink (but not nearly as bad as the Gokey Scream.)

But, at the same time, was she going to win this competition? Hard to imagine. I think both Adam and Kris are positioned to be top artists today; as noted in the Comments, Allison is a futures option that will likely pay off in 3-5 years, but not quite yet. I'd rather she had her breakthrough as Young Adult than Precocious Teen. Give her time, because the pipes are there and the personality is there.

In the meantime, I find myself faced with the problem that I don't really hate Hokey Gokey. I think he's got a really nice voice, and seems to be a decent fellow. I just don't think he belongs in a competition for the Next Pop Superstar, certainly not in its final three. Kris, on the other hand? I prefer Adam Lambert, but if Kris wins, he has totally earned it. Next week's "you choose, judge's choose" selections are going to be real interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment