Wednesday, June 24, 2009

NO YOUNG WHITE GUY HAS EVER GOTTEN ANYWHERE WITH ISAAC COMPARING HIMSELF TO ROSA PARKS: By now, you probably know the story -- Will.I.Am confronts Perez Hilton about Hilton's web site and its coverage of the Black Eyed Peas; an argument ensues; Hilton yells an epithet at Will.I.Am, and the Black Eyed Peas' manager punches Hilton. I'll repeat the line I used when Ozzie Guillen used the same word:
I won't repeat the slur here, but here's a hint: it starts with "f," ends with "ag," and has "I am a complete douchebag" all over the middle part. But the middle part is silent.
Yep, that works here too. Nobody should have punched Hilton, that much is obvious. It also seems pretty obvious that nobody is in the right here -- one person used a euphemism for "gay" intending it as a raising-the-stakes insult, and another one received it exactly as intended and predictably overreacted. But what I find most offensive about this whole thing is Hilton's campaign to make himself a martyr, to paint himself the victim of random political or societal violence instead of an incredibly stupid barroom fight in which he was not entirely blameless. I've been pretty successful avoiding Perez Hilton completely for most of his barely literate career and I'd like to go back to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment