Tuesday, September 1, 2009

ALSO -- DON'T NEGLECT THE OFFERINGS OF D.P. DOUGH: As a follow-up to last week's question about campus tours, and further provoked by the fact that my friend Paul Rieckhoff had the chance to do this last night: if you had the chance to address your alma mater's incoming first-year students and offer them words of advice, what would you tell them?

I'd want them to know to step outside their comfort zones -- that even if they think they know what their majors will be, they ought to challenge themselves and explore. For me, it was getting into academic study of film too late and art history not-at-all, despite my academic advisor's urging. And I'd also tell them that whatever motivates them most -- whatever that real passion is -- to set a goal of becoming a campus leader on that. Finally, I'd recommend to them that they get off campus for a few hours at least once a week, because reminding yourself of the outside world is always a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment