Tuesday, September 1, 2009

AND IT WAS GETTING COLDER: The Pathetic Earthling panned the idea of a big-budget Where the Wild Things Are. I panned the teaser trailer for it. And now I'm here to pan the long trailer, which I saw this weekend attached to Ponyo.

I'll just reiterate that it seems to me to be a profound misunderstanding of Where the Wild Things Are to make Max eleven instead of four, melancholy and timid instead of impulsive and headstrong, unwild; to make the monsters communal instead of Darwinian, thoughtful instead of instinctive, unwild. But what I really want to say now to Spike Jonze and Dave Eggers, both of whom I liked right up until they decided, incorrectly, that they could improve upon the original text: it's "let the wild rumpus start."

No comments:

Post a Comment