Wednesday, October 7, 2009

BUT GOLDIE LEE WAS MORE THAN HE KNEW HOW TO HANDLE: Apparently it's time to expand the ALOTT5MA baby names beat to include the broader universe of things that people do with names. I'm not sure when a trendlet becomes a trend, but I think it's worth noting that joining Sarah Michelle Prinze on the "Happy Anniversary, Sweetie, I'm Taking Your Name" train* is Heidi Klum. On Monday, Klum filed a court petition to henceforth be known as Heidi Samuel.

Seems to me that this will do precisely bupkis to identify her with her husband, Seal -- raise your hand if you knew that the guy's name was Seal [five middle names omitted due to space considerations] Samuel. What it may do is provide some entertaining shock value for unsuspecting parents of Henry and Johan's nursery school playdates (assuming that there are some non-celebrity-focused parents in Los Angeles). When you know that Mrs. Samuel is coming to pick up little Henry Samuel from the playground, but it's Heidi Klum who shows up to collect her son, well, that's whatever the opposite of a bait and switch is.

(*There's a certain cynicism to all this: hey, I was a big famous person 'ere I met you, and so I am going to keep my name on the off-chance that this whole marriage thing doesn't work out for us, just to keep things from getting complicated, but now we have some kids and I'm feeling pretty good about the state of our union, so I'm ready to commit now.)

In other news, Ione Skye and Ben Lee had a baby girl a couple weeks ago, and have chosen to honor my Bubbe Goldie by naming their daughter Goldie Priya Lee. I'm not sure that Bubbe Goldie would have known what to do with the name Priya other than baffledly make some more world-class blintzes, but the times, they are a-changin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment