Thursday, March 25, 2010

DOES THE MAN WHO MAKES THE SHOES OWN YOU, CLOWN: As Fienberg tweeted, Hitfix has (among other related things) the poster for the upcoming Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. Let me tell you, that is an absolutely gorgeous poster, really a piece of work. The color is wonderful, the title font is perfect, and the pose -- both the vigor it conveys by catching Cera mid-movement and the unusual choice of obscuring his face as he curls into himself -- is both daring and evocative. My only complaint is that the shadow doesn't match up with the pose and the light source. Anyway, somebody should win an award for that one.

It is not in any way to detract from that that I caught myself counting how many of my buttons the marketer was pushing with that poster. My first thought was, "hey, Rickenbacker bass -- nice choice" (and nice specimen, too -- a real beautiful bass). And then I wondered why Cera was soloing on a bass, and why he was using a pick. I realize that bass solos exist, and that some people play basses with picks, but this seemed a little odd to me, because ... hey, wait a second, this poster is drawing me into an associational reverie, isn't it? Well, anyway, there are also the vintage Adidas, which seem to use the Rod Laver cut but have the Superstar stripes -- are those vintage or retro, I wo--whoops, doing it again. Hey, the posture is kind of an amalgam of My Aim Is True and London Calling (or this?), but wouldn't Combat Rock have been the more appropriate sourc -- guh. And the sweatband on the wrist, and the ringer tee -- you get the idea. I wonder at what point Hollywood stopped marketing Michael Cera movies to people like me and just started marketing them directly to me.

3 comments:

  1. Joseph J. Finn4:35 PM

    Everyone has been talking about the trailer today, so it's nice to see someone mention the quite eye-catching poster.

    And since we're on the subject, is Scott Pilgrim worth reading?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Manic Pixie Dream Girl?

    ReplyDelete
  3. gwinsor7:59 PM

    The Scott Pilgrim graphic novels are wonderfully done and well worth reading. There's only six or so, if memory serves, so there's not too much to catch up on, plus the final one to be released this summer.

    Bonus points for the Mike Doughty reference in the subject line.

    ReplyDelete