Wednesday, March 3, 2010

A MAN'S WORLD: There seem to be two schools of thought on how to approach Idol. You can go about it like a job interview, courting the tweens and the grandmas with scrubbed-clean goodness and carefully selected Disney-appropriate songs, or you can just play the music that you yourself would like to hear and let the chips fall where they may. Pick one, and you might have a shot. Pick neither, and you'll end up chasing bad judge advice right into the sing-out. Tonight everybody -- everybody -- said that they were just being themselves. Either they're lying or I don't like many of themselves. Bullets:
  • Kara looks like she just ran straight through a wind tunnel. The wind also blew the top five buttons of Simon's shirt open. He has no chest hair but impressive upper stomach hair.
  • I believe Big Mike just said that he could bench press four naked Seacrests. He sings a James Brown song competently, but without any of the anything that makes Brown special. Mike's one "hey" sounds lonely. The judges, who are confused by large black men with guitars singing frat-boy soul, laud Mike's choice to sing like he looks. The band does him no favors by playing an aggressively funkless funk.
  • John Park was caught in Kara's wind tunnel. An Asian a cappeller? He will fail Anooptacularly. Unless he didn't speak until he turned six, he does not understand how to count to "second language." Park has a reedy voice that thins as it climbs, and he is sitting on a stool, which practically screams "now is the time for sleepy viewers to survey the fridge." This is an optimal song choice for Park, but it's not good. I amuse myself by imagining that Kara is virulently racist and believes that Asians should focus on violin. Suddenly, the hand gestures and facial expressions make sense.
  • Casey James. Whoever said last week in the Lost comments that Emilie de Ravin looks completely different wasn't kidding. The judges criticize James's "I Don't Wanna Be" as pitchy, but they're missing the point. Nobody gives a shit about pitch when a guy is whaling away on a distorted guitar (even if you whiff on the fade-out solo). Have they ever heard rock music? You can be messy if you do it in a good way. My only problem with this is that James has Archuletal dead eyes.
  • Alex Lambert. I don't think that's a mullet -- I think it's a mullet wig. He chose John Legend, a guy with a much larger voice and much more pronounced facial tics than Lambert, and he sings it in front of a band that is murdering the song as squarely as it can. This is just easy listening. Boo, get off the stage.
  • Is Todrick Hall singing Tina Turner? An oldie by a woman? After the judges told him that they associate him too much with dancing? Odd choice. I generally like people who sing behind the beat, but wow, he is too behind the beat. A competent, but hyperactive, vocal on a song that nobody in 2010 would buy, although he did try to update it (naturally, the judges hated that).
  • Jermaine Sellers won me over with the onesie, then lost me with the shark-fin hair. He got as far as "there's too many of you crying," and I was done already. This arrangement is abysmal, total Muzak schmaltz. Marvin Gaye's voice is all about pleading and urgency, and Sellers is singing this like he has nowhere to be. Pass.
  • Andrew Garcia is performing this like Chaz Bono doing an allocution. I'm not fond of the song (or the backup singers who literally joined for only one line), but I like the rasp of Garcia's voice and the head of steam he builds up when he's going for it. Naturally, the judges thought it was pitchy. See Casey James, supra. He is just way better than, say, John Park at exactly the same thing.
  • Frankie MunizAaron Kelly does not know that Motown Night murders contestants in broad daylight. He does "My Girl," a song nearly three times as old as he is, and who would buy this shit? Randy likes it. Why? Because he likes to hear sixteen-year-old-boys sing songs from his father's childhood? Aaron Kelly, incidentally, has the worst falsetto I've ever heard.
  • Oh, Tim Urban's clip package. Now that's the worst falsetto I've ever heard. He does a bit of vote-begging in the interview, saying his warmup is prayer, and then to prove it, he sings a song that I think is about making out with Jesus's approval. Incidentally, what does "the rush of your skin" mean?
  • I'll bet that Lee DeWyze (cough - stage name - cough) always played the date raper at school assemblies. He sings a song that is Idol-current, which means it sounds like late-90s Creed, but he has a big screamy voice, which the judges like. This is the second straight song that refers to lips and angels, but I think the point of this one is that LDW wants to get an angel drunk so that she makes bad choices.

Winners? Casey James, Andrew Garcia, though the judges don't agree. Losers: Tim Urban, maybe Alex Lambert or John Park. I would have said Aaron Kelly, but the judges liked him and he is the kind of tremendously geeky child that the tween/grandma group historically has liked to keep around.


ETA: Fienberg on last night: "If the men were bad last week, what could be better than seeing how they'd do when rushed and underprepared?"

18 comments:

  1. kevbo nobo7:24 AM

    Well played, sir.

    Last night had quite a bit of "meh"-- like the judges have already determined the final winner is NOT among the fellas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it just me, or did LDW announce that he's dating his teacher (Amy--at the original auditions and in the audience last night)?

    He gives me the exact same (slightly icky) vibe that David Cook did in the beginning. Cook grew out of it and became my favorite. Wondering what happens with Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lou W8:28 AM

    I'm missing something, how in the hell is Jermaine not one of your losers?  "What's going on" was offensively bad.  At this point Big Mike, Andrew, and Lee are the only three I have heard sing even one phrase that made me think they may have a great singer deep, deep, inside of them.  Ellen has also been dissapointing so far, but I did love her "You'd be great on Glee" comment to Tim Urban.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenn.8:43 AM

    I thought that Ellen was much better last night---much more willing to give real, constructive criticism. 

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agree. It will be interesting to see how the judging goes tonight. 

    Also, didn't one of the contestants tell the judges they were giving conflicting advice? This is true, although it doesn't mean that guy sounded any less awful when he sang. 

    ReplyDelete
  6. spacewoman9:34 AM

    Good point --he was bad.  The answer to your question is "because I forgot him."

    ReplyDelete
  7. isaac_spaceman9:34 AM

    that was me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like Ellen and agree with Jenn.  She was better.  Kara was just trying to undo the ickiness of the whole Kara-thinks-Casey-James-is-hot storyline and really was not commenting at all on his performance.

    Where was that weird Paula Abdul footage from that they played during Toddrick's package?  Did she actually perform on Idol?

    Also, please indulge a minor threadjack so I can officially retire the old moniker ...  I'm 3 OVER 5 as of today... seemed appropriate to share in the place where 3 under 5 was born.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andrew11:01 AM

    <span>I had the TV on for Alex Mulletbert's performance, but wasn't watching. And he sounded great. His voice had a nice tone, the performance was smooth and controlled and interesting. Then I turned to the screen and seeing this kid with a mullet performing without any stage presence took away tremendously from overall impression. Stopped watching again and the quality of the performance seemed better. If this kid loses the mullet and gets a bit more comfortable on stage, he could do well in this competition (under the Idol rewards development theory). Or he could be out next week before developing anything, because he's not very good. 

    I may already be done. with this season None of the contestants are particularly compelling on their own, and without that element, the flaws of the show stand out more. The backing band plays impeccably, but adds absolutely no energy to the performances and the judges are neither entertaining nor insightful. Aren't their insights supposed to help us, the audience, figure out what makes one decent singer a pop star instead of another? I know that these are the same issues Idol has had for years, but this season just isn't working for me, dawg. Ellen, at least, gave some useful criticism of stage presence and charisma, but I'm still not clear on why she's necessary as a 4th judge (I guess she keeps down Kara and Randy's word counts.)</span>

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also was not thrilled, although I am not going to say that I'm done with the season.  I would have told you last year that the season sucked early on, and it was clearly not my favorite, but the top five was, all in all, quite good.  It's quite the slog this year, but....  I enjoyed Big Mike and Alex Lambert more than Isaac did (although I agree with Andrew that his lack of stage presence is still noticeable).  And, given that I think that there's no way in hell that Tim "Tween Bait" Urban is going anywhere, I at least feel better that his performance was not actively bad this week.  Last week was awful.

    In this group of guys, Casey stands out, but I have felt all along that his face never matches what he's singing.  He looks roughly the same regardless of the song---like he has zero emotional connection to what he's singing.  If we want to phrase that as "dead, dead eyes," I'm down with that, but this has been my problem with him the whole time.

    Man, I hate Lips of an Angel.  I like raspy voices, but I also like when they hit the correct notes.  So, Lee is not on my happy list this week.

    I keep forgetting that John Park even performed, and Todrick and Jermaine were just not good.

    Whoops.  I'd also forgotten that Andrew performed.  That can't be good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, I'm finding this group to be just SO forgettable.  Agreed about Alex Lambert -- nice voice, ZERO stage presence.  And Casey's lack of emotional connection to the song and/or dead eyes.  Yup, that's the problem.  I did like the guitar solo, though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. StvMg1:07 PM

    Ellen was better tonight, but I still don't think she's been as good in these rounds as she was in Hollywood week. Kinda like Andrew Garcia.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dan Suitor2:47 PM

    Maybe it's just the conspiracy theorist in me, but I think Idol may have skewed a little bit older and more towards PERFORMERS with some of its contestants in an effort to take some of the wind out of X-Factor USA. I have no analysis to stand on, but I may just go do some research and number crunching to come up with some hard data on that fact.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Genevieve3:53 PM

    Wasn't sure if Jermaine's "I know God." would appeal to the religious vote, or strike them as too presumptuous.  (Really, Jermaine?  You disagree with Simon's saying 'you may not be here next week' with the response "I know God"?  So God wants you to come back next week, and therefore wants someone other than you to be out?  I think God might have a couple of earthquake-torn countries to be worrying about more.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. tortoiseshelly4:58 PM

    I thought that was pretty idiotic of Jermaine, too. Religious voters ain't deaf voters, Jermaine (and really, why anyone would vote for a singer due to religious beliefs is beyond me, but that's another discussion).

    I think it's pretty evident to everyone but Jermaine that the talent God bestowed upon him has nothing to do with vocal ability.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jenn.5:13 PM

    Heh.  I also apparently forgot Aaron. 

    ReplyDelete
  17. girard316:17 PM

    The judges seem to be confusing the contestants more than helping them. Their advice is more conflicting this year than last, where the clapping seal (Paula) could delight contestants to make them forget how little true help the panel gives them. I like Ellen, but not here. Like Jenn, I'm not done, but I'm sure hoping some folks start emerging from this steaming pile of crap.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm on Team Todrick.  For real.

    ReplyDelete