Friday, March 12, 2010

A NIGHT OF COMEDY, HUGGING, AND THE OCCASIONAL AWKWARD SILENCE; HOLD THE MUSIC: I have little to say about last night's comedy block, but didn't want it to go unlauded. I'll limit my comment to the comedy goldmine that is Ron Swanson's wood shop. Mark commented on the oily rags atop the wood-burning stove, but neglected to mention the immediately adjacent propane tank, and there seemed to be layers and layers of safety-hazard gags jostling for attention.

Also, I covet Ron Swanson's extensive array of well-stored clamps. Realism in the background of a one-episode set often isn't a priority on half-hour comedies, so I appreciate that somebody -- be it somebody in set design, set construction, or expert woodworker Offerman himself -- was there to ensure that the woodworker's clamp fetish was accurately represented. You really can't ever have enough clamps.

6 comments:

  1. The Pathetic Earthling2:03 PM

    To quote Fast Times, "my brother has the best set of tools."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan Suitor3:47 PM

    Nick Offerman is actually an amateur wordworker of some repute. See: http://www.offermanwoodshop.com/

    I wouldn't be surprised if that was actually his own shop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. kenedy jane4:23 PM

    Apparently, it was his shop:

     Nick emailed to let us know that a recent episode entitled "The Possum" has been partially shot in his LA wood work shop and will show pics of his recently completed canoe 'Huckleberry'.

    From http://www.bearmountainboats.com/canoe_club.htm

    ReplyDelete
  4. isaac_spaceman4:30 PM

    Like I said, "expert woodworker Offerman himself."  But I didn't realize it was shot in his shop.  So I covet his real clamps, not his fake ones. 

    The harp Swanson showed off in the episode where Leslie wouldn't let him drive was Offerman's own work.

    His canoe is also a work of beauty. 

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cecilia5:02 PM

    Agreed on the canoe.  I am not normally interested in canoes or woodmaking, but I commented to a friend while watching the episode that the canoe was gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete