Thursday, April 8, 2010

AND DANCE BY THE LIGHT OF THE MOON: Sex Pistols impresario Malcolm McLaren has died (and really has anyone ever fit the tag of impresario better?) McLaren was 64. In the pre-MTV days in the Chicago suburb where I grew up, we got our music videos via a syndicated show called MV3 and among my favorites was McLaren's pioneering hip-hop track Buffalo Gals, a track which helped usher me away from the my middle-school classic rock diet toward more adventurous fare such as the Sex Pistols. Even though it was a good seven years after it was released, I can still recall the somewhat illicit feeling of purchasing Never Mind the Bollocks... from the Rolling Stone Records in Norridge, on vinyl, natch.

1 comment:

  1. bill.8:46 PM

    Here's something I wrote a couple years ago about him and you can listen to Madame Butterfly, his successful mashup of R&B and opera.

    ReplyDelete