Saturday, April 17, 2010

GONNA TRAIN YOUR DRAGON, GONNA TRAIN IT GOOD: When I sat down to type this post on How To Train Your Dragon, I had started off by musing that if you don't have kids it's not essential viewing. I didn't think it was particularly brilliant, moving or funny in a way that grownups would appreciate ahead of more age-appropriate fare. But then I saw the 98% rating from Rotten Tomatoes and it reminded me just how hard it is to be this strongly competent in telling a coming-of-age tale slash war-on-terror parable which was good enough in the 2D upon which Lucy insisted, and I can just imagine how awesome in 3D what with the dragons flying and all. No, I don't understand why Scotsmen Gerard Butler and Craig Ferguson were cast to voice the lead Vikings, but if you're looking for a solid animated adventure see this movie. As Lucy said, some movies for kids are good because they're funny, and some because they're cool -- and this movie is cool.

4 comments:

  1. bill.9:19 AM

    I agree, very cool movie. My Child (fem, 8yo) also insists on 2D. I think it would help if kid-size glasses were available. We also speculate that the WDW 4D movies spraying water in her face also accounts for the 2D preference.

    very late review, also saw that Chipmunks Squeaksuck abomination. There's a 2nd run theater near us with tickets on a sliding scale, but usually around $1.75. There was no way we were paying full price for this, so we held off. Even at this low low price it was a massive ripoff and everyone involved should be ashamed of themselves. I want a public apology with rending of garments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rather love that you are training Lucy in the fine art of pop culture commentary.  Nice.

    "Chipmunks Squeaksuck abomination."  Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved How to Train Your Dragon for this simple reason: It made me happy.  I smiled while watching it and left the theater grinning.  Sometimes that's all I ask out of a movie.

    Oh, and the main dragon reminded me of my kitten, Booker T.  In fact, I've decided the T now stands for Toothless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. bella wilfer1:44 PM

    bill - there are kids size 3D glasses in my theatres (LA) - weird that that's not a national thing.  How annoying.

    And, Watts, I LOVED How to Train Your Dragon for the same reasons.  Not quite as good as Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, which still holds the top spot in my heart, but it was fun, exciting, and totally heartwarming.  Loved it loved it loved it.

    ReplyDelete