Wednesday, May 19, 2010

HAS THE TRIBE SPOKEN? Even though CBS is America's #1 network, it's making more changes to its lineup than ABC did. A few of note:
  • 2 of the 3 CSI shows have timeslot switches, with Sunglasses of Justice ceding Mondays to Hawaii 5-O (which, if it fails, can we finally concede that Alex O'Loughlin is not going to be a big TV star?) and moving to Sundays at 10, and CSI: NY being sent to Fridays to plug Ghost Whisperer's hole (they did not flip CSI and Mentalist, despite early reports).
  • Survivor moves to Wednesdays at 8, where it takes on what's typically been a non-competitive slot
  • Leading into CSI on Thursdays is a new comedy block, led off by Big Bang and followed by Shatner comedy Bleep My Dad Says. (Setting up an interesting comedy fight between CBS and NBC on that night, and making me wonder if ABC may move My Generation, which would seem to have a similar demographic appeal.)
  • The powerhouse Tuesday lineup remains unchanged, despite some noise that they were considering moving Good Wife to Fridays.
  • Criminal Minds' spinoff isn't on the fall schedule.
Aside from Bleep (which will either be hysterical or horrible--no real middle ground there) and Daniel Dae Kim and Grace Park's involvement in Five-O, none of the new shows seem terribly interesting (new Chuck Lorre sitcom, Jim Belushi/Jerry O'Connell legal drama, Tom Selleck procedural).

ETA: I will say that the new Five-O credits are just about perfect in their mix of modern and nostalgia. (No rolling wave to start, but still the thumping drums.)

9 comments:

  1. They're moving Big Bang Theory? That would be more annoying if it weren't for the DVR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like I'll DVR everything on Thursday and then watch TV over the weekend. Since I don't have the fancy cable stations, my TV shows are down to: BBT, Community, Parks & Rec, 30 Rock, Office, Modern Family, My Boys (whenever that's on again) and whatever L&O happens to be on. I'm weaning off HIMYM. I occasionally watch NCIS: LA and Royal Pains, but mostly because I like the leads.

    Anything that I should be watching that I'm not? (Remember, no deluxe cable).

    ReplyDelete
  3. No idea why my post was listed as "KKR" but that's me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Travis1:17 PM

    Stuff my dad says. I'll say it now, the only good thing about it will be Shatner. Even if the writing is terrible, Shatner will save it. The time slot is quite restrictive given the content, however. I think it would be much better to put this one out of the realm of the prime-time censors.

    I cannot see Jim Belushi as a lawyer.

    Will be watching Five-O for Grace Park, and Grace Park alone. Ok, maybe the theme song.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joseph J. Finn2:12 PM

    Wait, wait, who did Jerry O'Connell tick off that he's stuck with Belushi?

    Also, nice job by Park and Kim for managing to find jobs that keep them in Hawaii. Well played.

    ReplyDelete
  6. bella wilfer3:11 PM

    I don't think CBS will EVER concede on Alex O'Loughlin. We are stuck with him for eternity.

    Survivor moving to Wednesdays helps my Thursday out a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. To be fair, other actors (Nathan Fillion and Lauren Graham come immediately to mind, and Simon Baker is CBS's clear role model here) went through a large number of shows before finding one that was a commercial hit, but few of those people were:

    1. The face of the show that was promoted incessantly in every ad.
    2. The recipient of non-stop promotion the way Laughlin's shows have been.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am still impressed that you get to write a TV show because your dad is funny. If only my father was more hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The new credits do have a rolling wave early on, and also have a hula dancer. But a side-by-side comparison is fascinating, if only for the influence of MTV. It's amazing that people and networks ever tolerated 100-second opening credit sequences; the 32-second update is even long for today.

    ReplyDelete