Wednesday, June 16, 2010

EVERYTHING U DO IS SUCCESS: You know my whole maxim that any event is improved by the addition of Prince (or, in a pinch, Morris Day and the Time)? On June 27, the BET Awards will honor Prince with a Lifetime Achievement Award. (Also, they've nominated The Bieber for Best New Artist, which amuses me. But not The Other Justin Bieber, a Philadelphia attorney.)

Three tv notes for tonight:
"From Bobby Ewing's shower scene in Dallas to Dr. George O'Malley's shocking death on Grey's Anatomy, from American Idol to Saturday Night Live, from NCIS to The West Wing, from Dancing with the Stars to Deal or No Deal, this special will feature the most talked-about moments from comedy, drama, reality, variety, and game shows, and will include some of TV's biggest personalities, such as Tina Fey, Ellen DeGeneres, Howie Mandel, Chris Harrison, Arsenio Hall, Paul McCrane, Tom Bergeron, Aida Tuturro, Whoopi Goldberg, Paul Shaffer, Julie Chen, Regis Philbin, Patricia Heaton, Michael Weatherly, and David E. Kelley revealing what went on behind those surprising moments."
Yeah, I'd say that array of personalities suggests at least one of the list items. But which surprising SNL moment did a viewer survey select -- Charles Rocket's twelve-letter mistake (or Jenny Slate's more recent four-letter transgression?) Sinead O'Connor's photo mutilation? Ashley Simpson's "acid reflux"? The banned-after-one-showing Conspiracy Theory Rock cartoon? "Radio Radio"?

12 comments:

  1. Adlai6:20 PM

    Anyone else watching Work of Art?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lou W6:26 PM

    Also, on Discovery, the Top 25 Mythbusters moments.  A 2 hr retrospective from 9-11pm est.

    ReplyDelete
  3. StvMg6:36 PM

    How surprising was George O'Malley's death? Hadn't we already known that T.R. Knight was leaving the show? And while I've heard some of the Dancing With The Stars results were mildly surprising, would any of them really qualify as shocking?

    ReplyDelete
  4. calliekl6:41 PM

    If you have some extra time online, TMC has a list of the 10 Best Comedy Lines from Classic Movies, as found here.

    I've never understood the hilarity of "I'll have what she's having", basically because I always think of how uncomfortable I would be in a restaurant if some lady started o'ing out of nowhere. But that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. bill.7:04 PM

    Not just you. I'm mystified why that line gets belly laughs. The best it deserves is a polite chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. janet7:09 PM

    Is anyone interested in SYTYCD Season 7? Top 11 dancers begin competing this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carmichael Harold7:34 PM

    I am.  Though I was disappointed it's not a top 20, I enjoyed last week's exhibition show enough to overcome my qualms.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are not 27 better surprises in tv history than the Newhart finale.  Neither Tina Fey's impression of Sarah Palin nor Ellen coming out on her tv show AFTER SHE HAD COME OUT IN TIME MAGAZINE were surprising.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I plan to let it fill the hole left in my heart when PR went to Lifetime. 

    ReplyDelete
  10. Meghan8:45 AM

    I don't watch Grey's so I don't know the circumstances of the story, but didn't that happen on ER first with Omar Epps' character?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Meghan8:47 AM

    Yeah, in re: Fey as Palin, I think the general thought on the day of his announcement was, "John McCain chose who to be his running mate?  Oh, she looks a lot like Tina Fey.  I bet Tina will come back to SNL for cameos."  Not surprising at all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dr. Gant (Epps) was a suicide, and the reveal was when his pager went off.  In terms of ER surprises, yeah, that was better than the repeated helicopter attacks. 

    ReplyDelete