Thursday, July 15, 2010

SEVEN MONKEYS, JUMPING ON THE BED: Does SYTYCD need a new doctor? Losing Alex was a big blow for the show. Now it's Ashley's turn. Apparently she got hit by a scale that fell down as a result of the concussion from some dynamite that fell out of the pocket of a commuting anarchist rushing for the train. Or something. But Allison's okay, and previous-season injured person Jessica seems confusedly happy in the audience, so apparently the SYTYCD curse isn't fatal. Dancing after the break:

Overall, this is a pretty evenly matched top six. There was one slightly-better-than-the-rest performance from a perpetually undersupported (vote-wise) dancer, one typically bad one from a perpetually beloved (vote-wise) dancer, and four solidly good ones. It is hard to see much separation here. In order of how I think they did:
  • Robert: Robert gave us this week's two highlights: (1) the Travis Wall piece about Wall's mother; and (2) not dropping Kathryn on her butt, like he did last week. There are caveats, though. The former was marred by the weirdly literal wardrobe choice of dressing Robert exactly like Travis, as if he were playing the role of Travis in Travis! The Travis Wall Story, and by the even weirder choice of ending a dance about a son taking care of his sick mother by having the son languidly cup his mother's breast. What? And the latter was marred by it being a Doriana Sanchez disco (to repeat my lament, why does the show insist on emphasizing the anachronism by using dated music and wardrobe, when it is perfectly happy to update music and wardrobe for genres like Broadway, tango, quick-step, etc.?), and by Robert threatening to drop Kathryn on her head during one lift, and by Kathryn completely blowing Robert away. I am pretty sure that I would watch a half-hour Glee-ish sitcom called Kathryn, where various poorly written scenarios culminate in Kathryn dancing, with the proviso that Kathryn's lines have to be dubbed by someone who can speak in a tolerable human voice.
  • AdeChike: After adjusting for my dislike of ballroom, I liked the salsa more than the jidges. There definitely was some of the AdeChikeness that the judges don't like (like the head bob), but he threw himself into the sharp corners of a very fast dance, which is all I really notice. And he completely outdanced Kent in the paired contemporary. At times, that dance literally involved AdeChike dancing circles around Kent, leaping and yanking and replacing chairs as Kent thoughtfully stood up and sat down.
  • Billy: The Mandy Moore thing didn't look all that hard, but it was fun to look at, and "Boogie Shoes" is fun-enhancing music. And the jive looked very hard, but Billy seemed to enjoy it. I didn't think he had a spectacular night, but he seemed to be having fun.
  • Lauren: More or less gets the week off. First of all, who knows what with the Tahitian thing? The judges' response to anything they don't understand is condescension and insults dressed up as praise, like saying that Tahitian dance looks like ducks in heat right after the choreographer explained that it's the islands' most revered tradition. Lauren's second dance, the Mandy Moore sock hop with Billy, again seemed light on technique and heavy on fun. The upshot is that Lauren didn't have to do anything too hard, but did a lot of stuff that looked really enjoyable.
  • Kent: The jidges were right about the dance with AdeChike -- Kent did well to underplay it, because it easily could have become some kind of grotesque slapstick about a yokel who just needed so sit down. And though I thought AdeChike was better, Kent was pretty good in an easier role. I did not like the baseball dance, though. I never like people to treat baseball as a precious anachronism, which was the point of the dance, and then I spent the whole dance criticizing it as a baseball fan, not as a dance watcher. Not Kent's fault, though I would encourage him not to slide head-first.
  • Jose: The Broadway seemed slow and tired, but that's not the problem. Jose's biggest problem -- that he doesn't do anything superlatively well -- was most evident when Dominic outdanced him in the b-boy routine. Dominic had crisper motion, straighter lines, faster spins, tighter turns.
It's hard to guess who the bottom three will be, especially since presumptive audience favorites Jose and Kent are my bottom two. But it doesn't really matter, since I don't see how Ashley can survive being in the bottom three almost every week and then not dancing this week.

17 comments:

  1. Ashley's saving grace (if she can dance next week) is that they're running out of women.

    Don't have anything to add to anything other than to note that according to Kathryn on Twitter last week, the failed lift was *her* fault, not Robert's. Grain of salt and all that.

    Either way, it's more than past time for Jose to go home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. isaac_spaceman11:58 AM

    Unlike Anya, Kathryn understands the concept of not throwing your partner under the bus.  There is incontrovertible evidence that the failed lift was Robert's fault, not Kathryn's, and it goes like this:  Kathryn cannot do anything wrong. 

    ReplyDelete
  3. tortoiseshelly12:55 PM

    I liked the Adechike and Kent piece more than you did, followed by Boogie Shoes and the Travis Wall piece. I thought the Robert and Allison danced well, but something didn't sit right with the music for me. Same thing happened with Mia Michael's tribute to her dad that took me right out of it. On the other hand, I loved Twitch and Kherington in the Jean-Marc Genereux dance for his daughter, and that was Celine Dion, who I can't usually endure. Maybe it just fit the mood better.

    As for the bottom three, Jose's ability is not on par with the other contestants, so he clearly should be there tonight, and Ashley lands in the bottom 3 due to the injury. I'm undecided on who else should be there. I liked the rest of them well enough last night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Watts1:16 PM

    If studio audience reaction during introductions is anything to go by, Kent's winning this whole thing.

    And Mark in a loincloth? Yes, please, more please, often, please.

    ReplyDelete
  5. isaac_spaceman2:37 PM

    Twitter says that Ashley broke a rib.  I think she would have been going home anyway, but this is a nice saving-face way of sending her home. 

    ReplyDelete
  6. isaac_spaceman2:39 PM

    No I liked it.  I thought AdeChike (hey, do I capitalize that or not?  I've now seen it both ways, including, I think, on the show) was very good in it, and Kent was pretty good too.  I just liked Robert in the Wall piece more. 

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nowhereman3:29 PM

    Also, if we need to injure more people to get Kathryn on the show in wonderfully skimpy ballroom-esque outfits, let's get to snapping some ankles.

    The thing I liked about Boogie Shoes other than the fun factor was how well synchronized they were; that could have become a serious mess if they got out of sync at *all*, but they managed to keep it together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marsha4:59 PM

    I thought Billy did a nice job on the Jive - Jive is about high energy, right? And he brought it. But OMG did I want to kill someone for that absolutely HEINOUS destruction of Paradise by the Dashboard Light that they danced to. I understand that you have to edit any song to get it down to 90 seconds, but you do NOT need to take two lines at a time from random places in the song so it sounds like a record is skipping wildly. Maybe you can get away with that for a lesser known song, but it was completely distracting and ear-bleed-inducing. No no no no no.

    I am very sad that Mr. Cellophane was wasted on Jose. And if you're using Mr. Cellophane, use Joel Grey. John C. Reilly is fine, but Joel Grey singing Mr. Cellophane is the gold standard.

    I liked the baseball routine, but I love Damn Yankees, so using baseball in an old-timey way doesn't have the same effect on me as it does Isaac.

    The dancers keep calling him "Chike" and the font for the show capitalizes the C, so I think it's AdeChike (with accents I don't know how to include).

    And I loved Boogie Shoes. I think that routine is a lot harder than it looks, and completely agree with Nowhereman about the sync. They were spot on, and so cute. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. tortoiseshelly5:16 PM

    I don't know about the capitalization of Adechike - I've seen it both ways, too. As for the Adechike/Kent dance, I only meant that I would probably place it higher than you would of the three dances I mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Um, I'm showing my lawyerly nerdiness, but that Palsgraf shout out earns my undying appreciation.

    I thought a lot of the pieces looked kind of sloppy and off-kilter - the dancers seem to be having a bit of a hard time keeping up.  I really only liked the Chucks piece with Billy and Lauren, the Kent/AdeChike piece and the Travis Wall piece.  Robert's growing on me, especially now that he's doing some stuff that doesn't make him look (as much like) a poor man's Mark Kanemura.

    ReplyDelete
  11. isaac_spaceman computer virus issues9:13 PM

    It's funny how people's opinions change over time.  I thought Mark during his season was perfectly acceptable, but I distinctly remember him being second-tier, behind some other very capable dancers.  If, during his season, you called somebody a poor man's Mark, it would have been more of an insult than it is now.l 

    ReplyDelete
  12. Normally I love Travis Wall's pieces, but that number left me totally cold for some reason.  I loved Boogie Shoes, really enjoyed the baseball number (I actually liked the old-timiness of it) and liked the jive, too.  For that reason, for me, Billy wins the night. 

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmm, I am wondering about causation of the injury, and whether we might have two competing theories that could be discussed ad nauseum at law schools.  It's the rare legal humor that makes me snort after 8 years (long years) in practice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Billy was wonderful this week.  It is terrible that he was in the bottom.  He seems to be falling in Kent's shadow as the "less cute" blond of the season.

    I am not sure if it is my bias as a fan, but the judges (except perhaps Mia) seem to be terribly hard on him as well.  I don't get it.

    Too bad, really.  I don't have much fondness for any of the others. 

    ReplyDelete
  15. Carmichael Harold11:15 AM

    I'm with you on the Wall piece, Aimee.  I wonder if it's because I found Robert to be inauthentic from the outset, and so am completely unable to buy any character/role he is playing in his dances, regardless of how talented a dancer he may be.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous9:54 PM

    so, i'm behind since i'm watching on hulu, but billy is really not blond.  really not.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous12:02 AM

    I have to hear exactly what Erich will change about that :D

    Sincere Regards
    Jaime
    frisbie insurance woodstock

    ReplyDelete