Monday, August 9, 2010

MADTOURAGE: How unsettling it is to wind down for two Sunday night shows -- one program to which one looks forward; one that one watches out of self-loathing -- only to discover that the two have become a single show. A successful man fails to see himself losing to an increasing drinking problem, turns to the comfort of a woman who is paid for her affections, and unwisely mixes his professional life with his seamy personal life. The jarring similarities left me so confused last night that I tried to apply Mad Men-style attention to a show that can't bear it. I spent way too long trying to figure out what Doug Ellin was trying to say with the unexpected reversal of Sasha Grey's and Turtle's girlfriend's personal grooming styles before realizing that what he was trying to say was "here is a concession to the censors."

5 comments:

  1. It was good to see Finn DeTrolio working again (as the comedian in Mad Men who had clearly been prepped on Jerry Nachman's SERIOUSLY FUNNY: THE REBEL COMEDIANS ... book).

    Oh, Joan.  Counting the days until your husband's ass is shipped off to Nam?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it's a minor scene in the context of the rest of the episode, but what about the scene between Don and Allison?  To me, it read like Allison had given two weeks' notice, and was just working her final few days at SCDP.  I seem to remember dialogue suggesting that, but not explicitly stating that...

    ReplyDelete
  3. isaac_spaceman1:19 PM

    I don't know -- I read it as her suggesting to Don that if he wanted to try again, she was around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. randy2:07 PM

    It's such an ambiguous scene.  (In a great way.)  Rewatching it, I can see it playing both ways.  It's this exchange that made me think Allison's leaving:
      Don: So what will you be doing?  [i.e., for New Year's Eve]
      Allison: Don't worry, I'll be here until the bitter end.

    The bitter end... of 1964?  Or of her career at SCDP?

    Such a minor scene in this episode, but a lot bigger in the context of what had happened last week.  I *hope* Allison's not leaving (hell, I'm still not over Sal being gone!)... but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charles Carmicheal7:06 PM

    Talk about taking your eye off the ball, Vince is this close to floating in the pool and Turtle is worried about sun glare.....

    Just had to class up this thread.

    I got a Texas Belt Buckle,Yee Ha!

    ReplyDelete