Wednesday, September 1, 2010

OUTRAGEOUS! Even when this blog's fascination with muktuk has subsided, our attention to all things Lionel Richie has not -- especially when he has taken the song that brought him halfway to EGOT and reworked it to pimp British potato chips.

[Not the first time he's taken such liberties with his lyrics -- remember the 1984 Olympic Closing Ceremonies version of "All Night Long." Among the nonthreatening Children of the World breakdancers jambo-jumboing there: Cuba Gooding Jr.]

Related, from 2003: So, what is the deal with the bridge in Lionel Richie's "Say You, Say Me"?

8 comments:

  1. Laura8:12 PM

    I was dismayed to see Shopping Blog felt it necessary to clarify that Lionel Richie was Nicole's father - http://www.shoppingblog.com/blog/831108

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Other Kate10:39 PM

    Hey You, Beer Me ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul Tabachneck3:17 AM

    It's Walkers -- I'll allow it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are they really good?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:37 AM

    They're amazing chips!  The Irish Rover, the pub I play at on Mondays, keeps them on stock constantly and passes them out to the regulars.  I've never had a salt and vinegar chip that I liked before then, and some of the flavors will knock you for a loop. 

    Upon rewatching, though, this commercial re-awakens an anxiety that I've had ever since the last scene of the Real Genius -- You don't want that chip after it's been involved in a glass-breaking incident!  There may be SHARDS ON THE CHIP. 

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paul Tabachneck8:38 AM

    Whoops!  That was me.  My bad...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adlai9:36 PM

    Yes. I think that every time I watch Real Genius. (Although I think you could probably eat the popcorn well within the house.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paul Tabachneck9:10 AM

    Thank you, Adlai!  Everyone thinks I'm crazy when I talk to them about it, but there is glass, fiberglass, asbestos, termite waste, termites, so much to worry about!   Not to mention, unless you've lined that Radio Flyer with plastic wrap, you can't eat the stuff at the bottom of that either.  I hate to be a buzzkill, I know Tears For Fears is making life awesome right now, but let's be honest about how worth dying free popcorn is.

    ReplyDelete