Tuesday, November 30, 2010

BETTER WITH REWRITE: As I clean out my DVR from last week, I finally figured out why I keep watching Better With You. I recognize it's not terribly good, but almost every performer is exceedingly likable and better than the material (the exception is Jake Lacy, who, not surprisingly, is the only member of the cast without a laundry list of prior credits). In that way, it reminds me of The Class, another show with wildly scattershot writing, but a solid and very likable cast, including many who went on to things that made much better use of their talents--Lizzy Caplan (Party Down), Jesse Tyler Ferguson (Modern Family), Jason Ritter (to the extent The Event works at all, he has a lot to do with it), Andrea Anders (Better Off Ted), and Jon Bernthal (Walking Dead). I hope Better With You is likewise the gateway to better projects for its cast (particularly Joanna Garcia, who's well past due for a big hit--Privileged was arguably the last really good show on the CW, even if I'm still watching Gossip Girl).

3 comments:

  1. I watched the first few eps of Better With You, mainly because I love, love, love Debra Jo Rupp.  But I just couldn't stomach the predictable punchlines and statle sitcomminess of it any longer and deleted my season pass.

    The Vampire Dies is an incredibly watchable and addictive show on the CW.  I'm not an "all-things-vampire" fangirl, but TVD has incredibly zippy plots and is getting great acting out of some of its actors.

    I still miss The Class - don't forget Sara Gilbert had a memorable but thankless turn opposite Jesse Tyler Ferguson in that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marsha11:07 AM

    "This house is not well built!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dan F5:57 PM

    I deleted the last few episodes of "Better With You" from my DVR because it was getting too crowded, and figured I could catch up on Hulu over the holidays if I felt like it.  Come to discover, Hulu no longer has full episodes!  Oh well, no great loss.

    ReplyDelete