Wednesday, November 10, 2010

FLY AWAY! Dave Niehaus, the looooooongtime voice of the Mariners, has passed away. If you didn't grow up in or near Seattle, listening to Niehaus's velvet-and-vodka voice calling Mariners games, seemingly every night at 7:05, you won't ever know what you missed. If you did listen to those games, you know that even though Niehaus could put a charge into you on a deep fly ball or a close play at the plate, you couldn't get a sense of his greatness just from listening to a highlight reel. The best part of listening to Niehaus was just his oscillating narrative unspooling over the better part of an evening, sometimes calmly describing the business of baseball while leaving enough room for the ambient sound to fill in the picture; sometimes getting suddenly tickled into fluid amazement by unusual plays, weird player quirks, or even strange things he spotted in the crowd. Even late in life, when he only called a few innings of the games and frequently mixed up the players or forgot their names, he remained far more entertaining than the bland or outright stupid voices the Mariners hired to prop him up. I loved Dave Niehaus, absolutely loved him, and am sad to see him go. But I am happy that Hall of Fame voters were smart enough to induct him a couple of years ago, when he could really enjoy it.

7 comments:

  1. a sad day, indeed.  

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though you're absolutely right that he was so much better than any highlight reel could capture, his voice will always be a part of one of my happiest sports memories: <span>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOWnLqjF40g.</span>

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really know what more to say. I just know I will miss Dave Niehaus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greg W9:19 AM

    For a native Seattleite and life-long Mariners fan who is now on the East Coast, he was a connection to home and to childhood that I could access every (late) night on my computer. I felt silly shedding a tear this morning when I heard the news, but I guess that just shows how great an announcer and man he was.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christy in Philly11:03 AM

    As someone who has watched the last two seasons of Phillies games wondering how Harry Kalas would have called them, I send my condolences to Mariners fans. These guys were the voice of summer for baseball fans and it's just not the same without them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. isaac_spaceman2:25 PM

    One thing I didn't mention about Niehaus (because I didn't know it) was that he started calling the games in 1977.  In other words, he was the voice of the Mariners since Day 1. 

    ReplyDelete
  7. <sniff> Was in the dome for that magical moment in '95, and I remember in the mayhem wishing we could have heard Dave call that last play.  (Only had to wait a few minutes to see and hear it replayed several times :) 

    His unwavering loyalty to the Mariners franchise was inspiring, and he made it feel like you were sitting in his living room watching the game with him.  Baseball in Seattle just won't be the same. </sniff>

    ReplyDelete