Wednesday, December 15, 2010

EENY MEENY MINEY MO, CAN'T LET JERRY LAWSON GO: We welcome Marsha back for Night 4 of NBC's The Sing-Off:
* * *
Before I get to the music and the results, I have to say my now-annual bit about the costumes. I suppose I can appreciate the desire for something telegenic but non-identical within each group, but the colors are so ridiculously loud (the Backbeats’ outfits during “White Christmas” actually hurt my eyes), the almost-but-not-quite-matching thing is distracting and painful, and worst of all, tonight the female Backbeats looked like the greatest hits of the Judy Jetson Streetwalker Collection. When their lead singer is in a shiny dress so short I hope her mother isn’t watching, and she’s singing “I need somebody to love” to a man three times her age, I don’t know how NBC is getting away with airing this in the family hour.



On to the music! I think with the mid-show elimination I have to go song-by-song tonight. Right off the bat we see what Maret was talking about with On the Rocks – Maret, are you visible in the crowd? Or interviewed? I have no idea what you look like! Their sound on the Elton John medley is really lacking in the bass – a group of 15 men should have more depth. The biggest problem here is that the soloist on “Don’t Let the Sun Go Down” completely showed up the soloist from “Bennie and the Jets” – if you don’t have two guys who can nail the falsetto, do a different song. Ben (the only judge I’m actually watching) is absolutely right about the tempo issues here – it’s very hard to get an a cappella group to keep a slow tempo, and the bigger the group, the harder it is. Some minor pitch problems in the final chord – pleasant, but they can and need to do better than this.

I come to the Committed performance a bit handicapped by not knowing any Usher songs, and thus not knowing if they’ve played these straight or put their spin on them. However, I continue to love their blend – there’s always a strong but unobtrusive anchor in the bass and percussion, the high melismas aren’t annoying, and the sound is full and warm, which takes a lot of talent with a smaller group. I also love that they never seem frenetic – they’re relaxed up there. Those jazzy chords they do give me goose bumps – its so, so hard to get those right, especially two guys doing matched runs. Fabulous.

Oh, Street Corner Symphony, I feel for you. Taking on the Beatles is hard, especially for guys who think of themselves as Southern Rockers. Here’s where I see a big difference between them and Committed – both groups are six guys, but to me Committed always sounds full and warm, whereas SCS often sounds thin and tinny. The opening of “Help” was weak, and the sound didn’t fill out until they got to the climax of “Hey Jude.” This is a group that needs another bass and another baritone. They had other issues – “Eleanor Rigby” was rhythmically all over the place and too fast, the percussion was missing from way too much of the arrangement. Not their best outing.

Yay! The Backbeats have a new soloist! And she’s great! Alas, then we’re right back to our usual. These folks still aren’t gelling for me. To me they sound like a bunch of sopranos, one bass and a killer percussionist. The whole middle range is missing in their sound – when the women sing low they all sound strained and out of their element. I ‘m not a fan, but they did fairly well with this medley. It’s hard to do stuff that’s this relentless and this musically odd without Gaga’s electronica stuff, and they acquitted themselves fairly well.

Now, why couldn’t they have given Otis Redding to the Backbeats and Lady Gaga to Talk of the Town? THAT would have shown me whether these people have outside-the-box chops. This medley has terrible transitions, but man, do I love the guy who soloed on “Try a Little Tenderness.” If we’d seen more of him throughout this competition, they might have made a better impression – relying so much on Jerry Lawson has been a mistake. These guys are great at what they do but everything sounds the same. They made “Respect” boring, despite the tempo, and had pitch issues for the first time.

I would have sent Talk of the Town home in the first round, but I have no problem with the On the Rocks elimination. The only group I thought really did a great job with these medleys was Committed – all the other struggled with pitch, speed, or transitions. OTR had issues with all 3, plus a weak soloist on one of the numbers. Valid elimination.

Can we pause for a word on the clip packages? Could we be more stereotypical? They sent the black groups to the barbershop and the basketball courts, the Californians to go shopping, and the college kids to Karaoke. Only the Southern Rockers got to go sing at a club. The hell?  And a word on the Swan Songs – can’t we let these folks leave singing their best songs? Do they really all have to be “leaving” or “goodbye” or “final” themed songs? Though a little Gob Bluth reference is always ok with me.

Committed, “Let’s Stay Together”: You want degree of difficulty – this was impossibly hard. They switched soloists every two lines, and you never heard any variation or missteps in the background. That’s HARD. Just having 6 guys who can all solo – most groups have a few people whose job it is to anchor the harmonies but don’t have solo quality voices. All 6 of these guys are not only good, but no one was clearly better or worse. The harmonies were stunning here. This was a fantastic arrangement – made me smile. I hope they record this.

SCS, “Down on the Corner”: If they can’t nail this, they can’t nail anything. They came close. Their percussionist needed to be more prominent toward the end when they came to what would ordinarily be thought of as the a cappella section – those high hats need to explode. I didn’t love the middle of the arrangement, but they did a nice job with this. I still say they need two more guys – even on this, so totally in their wheelhouse , the sound is thin.

Backbeats, “Landslide”: talk about peaking at the right time. This was gorgeous. Wonderful mature blend on complex chords, and a fabulous subtle solo turn from Joanna, who I wouldn’t have thought had it in her. It’s so hard to maintain this tempo and blend standing far apart on a huge stage with individual microphones. I rewound this to watch again – only song I did that with tonight. I would love to buy a recording of this too. I’m a lot happier with their inevitable move on to the finals after this. Basically, what Ben said here – this is why I love a cappella.

TOTT, “House of the Rising Sun”: An interesting song choice – the other three groups got stuff that seemed very natural for them. This is not a song I think of as classic doowop, and I think they suffered for trying to make it so. I liked it, but it was missing some of the malevolence the song needs. (Speaking of malevolence, I’d have liked to see their take on “Eli’s Coming” but the 90 second version probably wouldn’t work.) The judges liked this better than I did.

The final four performances were much, much better than the medleys. But what a frickin’ cop out on the ending. I have nothing to say, except that there’s no way TOTT should be in this finale, and this is why they shouldn’t have been in the competition in the first place. The judges never managed to treat them like just another group.

Oh, and shut up Nicole.

16 comments:

  1. Heather K10:56 PM

    I missed the first few medleys, but I was anxiously waiting for this to appear here.  So far itunes has had every song group and individual song except the swan songs available by the day after and not live versions.   But they are a little harder to find than I want (the show comes up first when you search and they have season 1 stuff too and the holiday stuff all blended in there etc).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meghan8:33 AM

    All of the recordings of last night's songs are now on ITunes - just incase you really can't live without that version of "Landslide"...like me.  :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:37 AM

    I'm afraid Marsha and I were not watching the same show.  TOTT's House of the Rising Son was incredible and sounded leagues ahead of what anyone else was doing with the possible exception of Committed's Let's Stay Together. The Backbeat's Landslide was nicely arranged, but sounded like something you might hear on any random Tuesday night a cappella concert on a college campus.  Their vocal talent just doesn't match what exists in the other three groups.  If the ending was a cop out, it was only to protect the Backbeats from going home.   

    ReplyDelete
  4. RandomRanter9:21 AM

    I hesitate to spin conspiracy theory, but I felt like in the other eliminations (you know where they eliminated people) I had a sense who was going to go, and after the judge's pick songs, I think they were kinda hoping someone would flub.  I agree that "House of the Rising Sun" was sort of tame (not bad, but yes, not malevolent) but it was technically okay. I sort of wonder if Lanslide (which is easy to overdo) or HOTRS was expected to throw someone off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. girard3110:16 AM

    I did not see the ending -- am I understanding that all four groups are coming back, or did they toss off SCS?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marsha10:26 AM

    All four groups are in the finale.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marsha10:27 AM

    As with all talent competitions, opinions are going to vary wildly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I felt better about the "twist ending" because the result was that the pick of fourth place was given to the public.  If they had either thwarted the will of the public (i.e., Idol's judges' save) or decided simply to delay the judges' decision, I'd have felt worse about it.  Plus, I felt certain that Top of the Town was going to be one of the finalists, and didn't really think that any of the other three should be knocked out for them.

    Don't get me wrong:  I'm not really a fan of the Backbeats.  And I do think that the backing guys in TotT are great.  But Jerry Lawson's voice is weak enough at this point that it is hard for me to enjoy their performances when he is singing lead, which is most of the time.  I haven't hated all of their performances with him as lead, but I'd have knocked their team out the first week.

    Otherwise, I generally agreed with Marsha, except that I liked Down on the Corner more than she did.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marsha11:18 AM

    What frustrated me about Down on the Corner is that it could have been so much better. I don't mean that another group could have done it better, I mean that SCS could have done it better. Maybe they just haven't been together long enough, but they need to find a way to get their sound to fill out, and to work the dynamics on the individual voice parts properly. Tt was fun, sure, and parts of itsounded great, but the whole thing could have been that great - they have the potential.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous12:03 PM

    Are the iTunes versions the 90-second performances from the show or a "full" version of the songs?

    ReplyDelete
  11. tortoiseshelly12:03 PM

    I love the full sound you describe with Committed, and while I like SCS, I think they definitely suffer by comparison. I still don't care much for Backbeats or TOTT, though I did enjoy them more last night than I probably have throughout much of the competition. I'm okay with the cop out, since, as Jenn noted, it's going to be the public vote that ultimately decides. Of course, that's easy to say now - if TOTT takes the whole thing, I'm going to be pissed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. J. Bowman12:26 PM

    <span><span>I caught most of the second hour after work, and I'd like that time back. Over-the-top praise for aggressively mediocre music (and, oh my gosh, was "Landslide" ever butchered). You don't have to have a Simon to tear things down, but even Paula could dial it back for performance that didn't deserve it.</span></span>

    ReplyDelete
  13. Heather K12:58 PM

    I believe they are a mix of both.  Kyrie is definitely 90 seconds, but I know at least one song was several minutes long.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is where I'm at -- ok with the cop out so the public gets its say, but greatly worried that there will be some sort of nostalgia (sympathy?) vote for TOTT that will cause me extreme anger. 

    ReplyDelete
  15. Adding my voice to the "Landslide" lovers.  Watched it twice.  Buying it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. ChocolateAdmiral10:57 PM

    COMMITTED did what only  one other group( GFT )did....they demonstrated 'Musical Heft' in their arranging by voicing complex chords/intricate harmonies and executing them flawlessly. The other groups were 'musically lazy', they didn't search for new ways to imagine a song. They simply took the 'safe' route by just singing harmonies that were predictable(thus boring). Too many groups relied on 'FLASH' meaning...hi-energy & dance routines to carry their performances,and to their credit,THREE seperate judging entities saw right through it and mercifully didn't fall for the OKIDOKE, rather opting for quality & substance over weak style and mediocrity. It should be lost on NO ONE that COMMITED perhaps entered the competition with an unfair advantage.... afterall,They came from the same school that gave us Brian McKnight,and TAKE 6...the group that is generally considered THE GOLD STANDARD in terms of Acappella music. Being  alumnai myself I can tell you,that at Oakwood....Acappella is WHAT THEY DO....and they are TRAINED to FOCUS on the arranging,the theory is that being Unique and offering "Freshness" in sound will be appealing to the ear,and will cause you to stand apart from others who choose 'sameness',and predictability to carry the day. No doubt SCS, The Backbeats,and other groups will enjoy commercial success,but I predict that it will be COMMITTED,who will go the distance and manage longevity in their careers. 

    ReplyDelete