Thursday, December 30, 2010

SHABOOGIE BOP:  Really, I don't know what to say or where to start on the Prince concert last night at Madison Square Garden, the first time in all my years of fandom I had ever seen him live. The largely Sign ☮ the Times-and-earlier setlist speaks for itself.  Yes we're talking about a performer so confident that he could open with "The Beautiful Ones" and not something up-tempo yet still have the audience completely captivated; an artist with such a deep catalog of massive hits that he could have played a completely different set yet not leave people feeling disappointed that he went Steve-Martin-talking-Art, so to speak.  And at no point was he just doing rote versions which mimicked the originals -- we got an exuberant "Little Red Corvette" and a solo piano "Do Me, Baby" and "I Wanna Be Your Lover" (among others).

People were going berzerk -- Oprah's Favorite Things-level screams from the audience.  With good reason -- he plays the audience extremely well, working in-the-round on the same symbol-stage he used for the Super Bowl; the band is solid; and ... I mean, it's Prince.  The man's the closest thing we have to a modern James Brown.  When he comes to your town, spend what it takes.  Just. Go. Who knows -- you may get to see Cyndi Lauper brought on stage to do the O-E-O-E-O's of "Jungle Love."

10 comments:

  1. isaac_spaceman7:58 PM

    I have nothing against Prince -- I like quite a bit of his stuff and respect quite a bit more, even if it's not exactly my taste.  But I find his most hardcore fans exceedingly amusing.  Years ago I read a totally sincere attempt to explain his genius (I believe this was after a particularly weird appearance on the Tonight Show or some other late-night show, which I barely remember but during which I believe Prince was carried out on some sort of palanquin and neither sang nor played a single note, leaving those things for his band).  The author's dedication to his subject and his obvious emotional attachment to Prince's music were admirable, but I couldn't help feeling that that same zeal compromised the persuasiveness of his argument when he insisted upon replacing every "you" with "U," every "to" with "2," and every "for" with "4." 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eye no what U mean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adam C.9:27 PM

    "Like." Glad you finally got to see him.

    I haven't seen him live since a long ago show at the Fox Theater in ATL ('93-'94 maybe?), but he was awesome then, and it sounds like he's still got it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely one of the best shows I've ever been to. And we got, as the opening act, the actual Morris Day and the Time. Unannounced. The place went nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I saw Prince a couple of years ago, the women sitting down the row from us had customized Prince teddy bears. Like, the bears were dressed like Prince circa Purple Rain. And there I thought I was going eccentric in my purple paisley satin pants.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lisased11:08 PM

    We got last-minute, free tickets to see him at the Verizon Center a few years ago. Nosebleed seats, but I did not care. He opened with 45 straight minutes of pre-"Sign O' the Times" material. When he collapsed on his onstage bed, the place went crazy, and we still had two hours to go. The husband, who had never seen him live and appreciated but didn't love his music, walked out of there swearing it was the best show he'd ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. isaac_spaceman11:50 PM

    I'm sure I'd never pay to go see Morris Day and the Time, but at the same time I would probably be giddy if they showed up as the unannounced opening act at any concert I've ever been to.  Neil Young with Pearl Jam?  Stevie Ray Vaughn?  Ronnie James Dio?  WITH MORRIS DAY AND THE TIME.  YES PLEASE. 

    But I still couldn't name more than the two songs. 

    ReplyDelete
  8. It has long been my contention that there is no event which could not be improved by the addition of Morris Day and the Time, from Kennedy Center Honors to museum gala to Papal Funeral.  Also: The Latest Fashion, Release It, Love Machine, Cool, Jerk Out.<span> </span>

    ReplyDelete
  9. Slick1:31 AM

    I don't consider myself a huge Prince fan but I have seen him live three times and he is absolutely the best live performer I've ever seen.  He just seems like he loves performing so much that you can't help but love watching him.  He also did a slow version of Little Red Corvette at the first show I saw in '92 and it was probably the most beautiful song I have ever heard.

    ReplyDelete
  10. isaac_spaceman12:34 PM

    Wow, the mirror dance at a Papal funeral.  That made me laugh.  What?  They're already dressed for it. 

    ReplyDelete